Monday, January 5, 2009

Christmas recap

(pictures later, people. I can only do so much)
I get overwhelmed just thinking about trying to journal the past couple weeks. I was really not excited to return from California to Colorado. Usually I look forward to getting back into a routine and such, but this year I was just dreading it. Perhaps that is a direct result of what a completely wonderful time we had at my parents' home. It helped, of course, that they now live in a home nearly twice the size of the previous one, giving us much room to spread out. I like to think we needed the extra space to contain all the merry-making and laughing that ensued.

So, perhaps I'll come back and expound later and perhaps I won't. In summary, we got a Wii and Wii Fit this year and oh heavens, it's so fun! I had never played one and when we arrived at my parents' on Christmas day (night), they had their Fit set-up and Becca and I pushed that thing to the max. It was awesome. I can do a ski jump like a champion (it said so) - so much so that I kind of actually believe that if you stuck me at the top of a run, I could totally go 173 meters. Also, my favorite thing in the world right now is the Mii (a likeness of yourself you create as your character on the Wii) my dad created for himself. It is PERFECT. Honestly, if I'm a little stressed (see: turbulence during return flight), all I do is think of his Mii and I'm totally zen.

Gemma got a fur coat and a swimsuit. Pair them together for a truly winning ensemble.

Donovan received the toy sword he had been begging for. And then my mom gave him body armor. All of these are excellent presents for threatening timeout (the toys in timeout) when he engages in unruly behavior. He had a lot of fun fighting the dragon (Jeff) and cutting off all our limbs (Jeff does a great impression of the knight on Monty Python and the Holy Grail). Ah Donovan, my little dove.

Ainsleigh received some Polly Pocket stuff, along with a Prince set to go with her princesses, except that it comes with one body and 5 heads and outfits and you "get" to pop off the heads according to your whim. I cannot really express how bizarre this is. But she loves it, so that's what matters, right?

Joel had a the Christmas of eyewear, apparently. The kids gave him new super awesome swim goggles (and swimsuit), Jeff gave him snowboarding goggles, and Santa fixed the glasses that Donovan broke a year ago. Santa is a genius. He scoffed at paying $230 for new frames and located an online dealer who sold them for $84 and then took them to a local optometrist, who swapped out the old lenses into the new frames at no cost. Brilliant move, Santa. Also, Santa left this:

And let me just say that Southwest rocks because he could just walk right onto the plane with it and ride it all over my parents' very smooth and very flat neighborhood. And Joel got lots of admiring looks as he strolled through the airport with it under his arm.

In keeping with miracles on Christmas, Santa left me several outfits that ALL fit. And they were all different sizes. I'm not sure how this is even possible since *I* don't have that kind of track record. So I chalk it up to a Christmas miracle. Also, I got the pots and pans I wanted and so far am loving them. And, of course, the wii fit that will help me stay the champion that I am.

Awesome times at my parents' included playing games, laughing, eating, going to the beach, going to Trader Joe's, laughing some more, hula-hooping on the wii until my abs hurt, watching as my brother became an Eagle Scout, good talks with my Dad (who will never ever again forget my middle name), ringing in 2009 in the hot tub with Martinelli's, and much much more laughing.

Because of Gemma's eating schedule, I was unable to attend with mostly everyone else, "The Sound of Music Sing-A-Long" at the famed Castro theater in the Castro District (yeah, THAT one) of San Francisco to celebrate my Aunt Nancy's birthday. Based on all accounts, I really missed out. I plan on going next time.

It was great flying on Christmas Day - our flight was maybe half full. Same on the return. Upon sitting down, Donovan pulled out the emergency leaflet and saw the images of an emergency water landing and said, very knowingly, "Oh I see! So we DO go in duh water." Like it was as he had suspected all along. We had to explain that no, in fact that was hopefully not the case.

Words cannot fully express how much fun I have being with my family. There's always something to do, someone to talk about, something funny to laugh at. There's a feeling a peace and calm, even with the kids running around screaming at the highest pitch. There's a sense of security that reminds me of when I was a kid living at home. And maybe that's why I didn't want to leave. Since being home, Donovan has told me repeatedly that he misses Gwamma and Gwamma's house. And while I am glad to put the decorations away and straighten things up, I have to agree with him.

But two things that keep me from being in a total funk: 1) we are all going to get together again in the summer, and 2) as a family, we made one general new year's resolution: Be more fabulous in 2009. I know, I know, how is that even possible? Well poppets, there's always room for improvement.

So with that in hand, I return to my daily life, vowing to apply fabulous wherever possible. Join me, won't you?

2 comments:

Dawnette and Mark Coltrin said...

Because ytou didn't stay long enough you are missing my Mom's taco dinner tonight and then she will be gone for 2 years... NO TACOS! So sad.... ;-)

wanda said...

Now that I have Christmas put away and the house vacuumed and cleaned, I'm ready for you all to come back!