Monday, June 8, 2009

IDAHO: Wedding and Wilderness, part I

There is a classic picture of my dad and his siblings circa 1960 where they have stopped, mid-roadtrip for ice cream. You can see the menu board in the background boasting ice cream for $0.25 along with other fine fare. More importantly, everyone (except my Aunt Alyce, who is the oldest and 18 in the photo?) looks a little uncomfortable. Like you can hear them saying, "Aww dad, do we have to?" There's squinting and too-tight/short pants and cat-eye glasses and grimacing and it's awkward and awesome all at the same time. The reason I'm drawn to it is that for a staged photo, it's a pretty real view on actual life. Actual reactions. Actual kids. To that end, Joel and I try to take photos that are anything but staged. Interesting over pretty. Telling, rather than flattering. Sometimes the pictures happen to be pretty and flattering and sometimes we just laugh and laugh as we click through our latest downloads.

As I begin to post pictures from our trip I am reminded of good times and, often, a furrowed brow as I shake my head and wonder what in the heck my kids were thinking. Part II tomorrow. I need to go eat some cheesecake.


We have no idea what Ainsleigh is doing. Perhaps she felt like this was a cool pose. It looks more like something is creeping up somewhere it shouldn't. Dono, on the other hand, has that know-it-all-stiff-back-alert-ears thing going on. Not to mention his old-man-socks-and-crocs choice which he was ADAMANT about. Battles vs. Wars, I guess.

Gemma, enjoying an executive dinner

Surprise Time! Window markers are loads of fun.

1 comments:

Lisa said...

WINDOW MARKERS. Someone is a genius.