Friday, June 26, 2009

Nevermore

`Be that word our sign of parting, bird or fiend!' I shrieked upstarting -
`Get thee back into the tempest and the Night's Plutonian shore!
Leave no black plume as a token of that lie thy soul hath spoken!
Leave my loneliness unbroken! - quit the bust above my door!
Take thy beak from out my heart, and take thy form from off my door!'
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

It sat for a while. About an hour later he had moved to be sitting under our patio table, for which I was thankful since I could only imagine that the heat beating down on our deck would surely bake him. All the while, his beak open, stupid head rotating back and forth, wispy down feathers quivering in the wind. Then we had a downpour, accompanied by some fierce winds, and...he was gone. But I do not doubt for a moment he is somewhere close. Watching me. With his freaky beady eyes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pull the covers all the way back tonight before getting into bed... just in case.

Anonymous said...

Did your dad leave the post about pulling the covers back? Awesome