Monday, July 20, 2009

mean monday

I am the meanest mom in the world. I told Ainsleigh on Saturday that she needed to clean her room. She didn't. "Oh, I didn't want to," she casually admitted when I confronted her with it. The nerve almost rendered me speechless as I considered the possibilities opening to me if only I used that response. Donovan, on the other hand, responds by throwing his head back, squeezing his eyes shut, spinning around, and wailing, "It's too hard! It's too boring!" That day I sat in the middle of Donovan's room, not lifting a finger, but telling him each and every thing to pick up. But he did it.

Somehow, between going to some lovely friends' for dinner and swimming, her room fell by the wayside. So on Sunday, before church, I told Ainsleigh she couldn't come out of quiet time that afternoon until she cleaned her room. She didn't (well, she came out - just didn't clean it).

Our general rule is they can have breakfast once they are dressed and their beds are made. This morning, I told Ainsleigh she had to have her room clean as well. Now, this can get a bit dicey since there seems to be a direct correlation between their blood sugar dropping and the pitch of their voice rising, accompanied by increased lethargy. The order to clean their room seems to be an accelerant to that equation. But I stood my ground, ho yes I did. They were awake at about 7:15 this morning, usually begging me for breakfast right away. At one point Ainsleigh began to whine and I adopted my, "You know what happens when you whine - what kind of mom I'll turn into. So I'm going to take a shower and when I get back, we will start over and if you want the nice mom, you know what to do. But keep doing what you're doing if you want a grumpy mom." She was actually dressed by the time I got out. But her room? Nope.

They didn't eat breakfast until 10:45 this morning. And then they promptly marched back upstairs to vacuum their room and clean a sink. Now it's totally quiet and I'm a little afraid of what might be going on in the basement. But, in the meantime, my waiting game has paid off with Shutterfly. Remember how I had to upload 645 photos to print before July 26? Well I did that, but it turns out that tax and shipping would have been around $40. So I decided to wait for a free shipping coupon. I've been checking every other day. And today it was there! Free shipping for orders of 50 or more prints. I did that almost 13 times - hello! And so I also ordered some new 5x7s and an 8x10 so that I can have a more recent picture of Donovan than when he was 9 months old. He's changed a bit since then (couldn't resist comparing him to wee Gemma, though I suppose anyone looks wee next to him):

Now:


Hmm. It's 1:30. Maybe I should go see if they're getting hungry for lunch yet.

3 comments:

Allison said...

That comparison is almost painful and yet makes me laugh. I mean, seriously? Seriously. How are your kids so different?

And way to stand your ground despite low blood sugar--yowzuhs.

Becca said...

OOoooo man. That's like the ultimate punishment. If I don't get breakfast and my blood sugar is low, get outta my way!

Sarah Burgoyne said...

Holy crow, that baby picture of Donovan has to be one of the cutest things I have ever seen. I know you have mentioned to me that he was a big baby but I love the photographic evidence.