Tuesday, August 4, 2009

dear friends

I'm a little sad today, as this is the day a dear friend is moving away. When I first met her, I wondered how someone could be so positive and cheerful and loving ALL the time. It was an act, I guessed. Joel agreed. We had dinner with them. We carpooled. Our kids played together. And, over time, I came to the realization that she just is that genuinely joyful.

When people have asked her, "Do you ever yell at your children?" she responds, "Why would I do that?" And not in a tone laced with sarcasm (as may escape my lips), but one genuinely confused. She is the mother of 4 delightful (but not easy - whose really are?) children and so very loving and supportive of her equally lovely husband. I found myself curious, as to how she found such happiness, and drawn to her. I can say that there have been many times in the throes of frustration with my children that I have thought, "How would she handle this?" And while I have not always behaved in a manner that she would, I know that she has altered the way I view my family and my role in life.

So it was without a second thought that I requested the privilege of holding an ice cream social at my house for friends to say goodbye. Their family deserved it. And even as 100 people descended upon my home and almost 60 kids ran through my backyard, brandishing sticks pulled from trees as makeshift swords (need I say that Donovan was in HEAVEN), I celebrated having been blessed by their friendship. With chocolate sauce.

Texas, you've given me delicious watermelon (3 for 3 now, people!). Now I give you one of the finest families I've ever known. Houston can only be improved by their relocation. Be kind to them. I will miss them extraordinarily.

4 comments:

laura said...

Having met and spent some time with Amber, I can attest that she is one of the few people I've ever met that can be that nice and positive all the time without being annoying. On the contrary, she is a delight. Definitely worth a chocolate sauce sendoff!

wanda said...

Tears came to my eyes as I read your post. Some people are just kindred spirits. Listen to the song from "Wicked" - "I Have Been Changed for Good."

Anonymous said...

My heart is with right there with you! As always, our dear friend changed lives without even realizing it! She made my day better and my heart want to reach up towards heaven. The wonderful thing is that you, too, my sweet Sarah, continue to teach me how to live and love in a more Christ-like way. For these reasons (and so many I can not even count) I am a blessed woman. :) Alicia

Katie Ross said...

It's always great to have friends like that. They influence and make us better people, just like you've done for me. And you're not only a friend but a close cousin.