Wednesday, September 16, 2009

continuing an awesome Wednesday


The pipes were making funny (as in not-funny-at-all-but-actually-quite-scary) noises this morning. Called the water district. Man came out. Need to replace pressure reducing valve. This will also help the situation where it has become impossible to shower and flush the toilet at the same time. I refuse to call a plumber to do the actual installation. Will go to Home Depot and buy valve. Cost: $55

Took van to get oil change. Was informed the cracked water pump has not healed thyself. Not urgent, but should be addressed soon. More urgent is the almost-absent pair of brake pads on my front tires. I knew this was coming. Oil change and rear brake light are complete, the others will have to wait while we examine the money sitch. Cost: $45 Potential cost: $560

Bag of caramel apple candy corn. Cost: $1.18

Ainsleigh taking 45 minutes to do homework that should take 15, all while I remind her to focus. Cost: a trip to the pool (cue whining)

Donovan whining that he wants to eat the caramel apple candy corn instead of carrots for his afternoon snack because he really doesn't like carrots and much prefers corn. He thinks his tactic falls under the squeaky wheel theory. Cost: one pair of earplugs

The consequence of using a diaper cover you think might be on its last legs (pun?) is that you could very well be on the phone when you pick up your baby and suddenly your lap has a puddle in it (disturbingly, this is the SECOND time this has happened with this child, and yet I have managed to avoid waste products on my person until now). The horror only escalates as you abruptly stand only to have the urine run down your pant leg to your foot. Where it trickles between your toes. Cost: my dignity, and perhaps some of my meager remaining patience

Oh Wednesday, how you love to try me. I've already promised myself a large bowl of popcorn, though, so your chances of winning look grim. I've got my game face on, my teeth gritted (maybe bared?) and my head down. Game and set to Wednesday, but the match will go to me.

2 comments:

Sarah Burgoyne said...

At least you weren't in public when you had the pee running down your leg and between your toes. Small blessings :)

Last week Isabelle spilt an entire quart of cooking oil all over my sandled foot. At least pee is easier to wash off :)

Heather said...

I love reading your blog because you have such a witty way of sharing life's day to day stuff. i can totally relate, just can't put it into words like you can. Looks like you had a great vacation and Sarah- you are looking amazing! Heather