Thursday, October 22, 2009

Fall is fun.

Just a few days ago, we were enjoying this kind of weather:




Donovan has recently decided he wants to fly. With that in mind, he runs to and from school (and on walks, or just outside, or pretty much anywhere except inside - inside he sounds like an elephant tromping around) while flapping his arms. Sometimes he complains that he will never fly. I encourage him to try harder, run faster, flap more. I haven't bothered to ask if he has noticed that NOBODY flies. Just like I don't bother to tell him that no, he cannot actually be a knight and a firefighter and a police officer and a horse when he grows up. All too soon, he'll learn his limitations. Why would I rain on his parade for now? Plus, I'd be denying myself lots of giggling as I watch him try.






Today there is no flying practice. There's this:



But that's ok. It's a good excuse to bake cookies, read books and take naps. And Donovan assured me it was still good weather to "practice" for his upcoming race. That's right - his race. At the beginning of the year I made a quiet resolution to run a 10K this year, and while I have run that much, it hasn't been a formal occasion (with a racing bib, not heels and an up-do, though that doesn't sound too far off from the Skirtchaser...). I mentioned to my sister that a Thanksgiving day race would be fun. She enthusiastically agreed. I saw that there was also some kids' races available and casually mentioned to Donovan that he could be in a race, too. His mouth slowly opened, his eyes widened, and a grin sharpened the sides of his lips. "IIIIIIIIII could wun weeeeeeeelly fast." Yeah, and you'd get a shirt that says you ran a race. "I so TOE-tuh-wee want to do dat." And so every morning he asks what I did to exercise, and then decides what he's going to do. Sometimes it's running, sometimes it's flying, sometimes soccer, sometimes sword-fighting, and today it's shoveling snow (I only do one of those 5 - I'll let you decide).

Did I mention this Thanksgiving day race is in San Jose? California, here we come...

7 comments:

laura said...

Hahahaha... I laughed so hard I cried at that first flying picture. Amazing.

janine said...

oh my gosh....i love those flying pictures!!!! as far as i'm concerned, he's doing it!!! caleb loves to be an airplane cause "das jus wat boyz do, morm!"

Alice said...

I love how carefree Donovan is. I need to go back to those days.

Christina said...

Those flying pictures are perfect! I love it. Are you talking Turkey Trot in CA??? We always do the one here at Wash Park.

Lisa said...

FYI, we have zero snow accumulation up here. Ha ha. ;)

TheKunks said...

Way to go sticking to your new years resolution. Love the shots of your cute kid flying. He totally looks athletic...look at the height on his jump. :) KT

GWACK said...

Love the pic of Donovan going up the trail. So cute! I hope we get to see you in November. Claire almost peed her pants when she heard Ainsleigh would be so close. :)