Tuesday, December 15, 2009

naked

One of my recurring nightmares is that I'm outside somewhere far from home and I realize I don't have any pants on. Or underwear. Just...bare. I think I've mentioned this before. I have this dream probably 1-2 times a year, and I'm always quickly wrestling with whether I should hide or just shrug and pretend like this sorta thing just happens. On Sunday morning, I felt like I had woken up INTO that dream.

In but a couple hours, I would be standing between two lovely singers (and friends) in front of the entire congregation (maybe 250 people? maybe more? it's a little fuzzy) to sing (a few lyrics changed to make it more Christmas-y). What.have.I.done???

A week before, the always delightful Laurie called to ask if I'd sing in a trio. First I had to verify that she knew who she had called. I mean, I can sing a song. I can lead a song. I can teach a song. I can probably even play the song, at least the melody. But sing in a very small group? That people can actually hear me? That's what Laura does. To her credit (or desperation?) Laurie was very encouraging. I figured that between her and the multi-talented Janine, it couldn't be too bad. Right??

We practiced a couple times. My confidence fell. My prayers increased ("I don't want to sound spectacular, I just don't want there to be wincing. And, if possible, maybe it could sound pleasing."). Until I found myself mounting the stairs to the podium and suddenly standing behind the pulpit. My knees were knocking together (not helped by 3-inch heels) and I think my lips might have been trembling and my hands were definitely shaking as I turned the pages.

We finished, and I don't think I hit any wrong notes. I think it's always good to try things that make you uncomfortable, but I don't think I'll ever do this again. It was nerve-wracking and terrifying, and I can think of a lot of things I'd rather do instead of that. Like leave my house without pants.

3 comments:

The Johnson Family of Colorado said...

You did a fantastic job. I loved that you were up there and that it was not always the same people that always sing. You are right, you hit no bad notes..in fact you hit all the right ones, harmonizing beautifully and with a smile. You always continue to surprise me. By the way I prefer the clothes look. :)

laura said...

Dude, just last night I had a dream that I was walking home from the subway and realized I was wearing a t-shirt, a long-ish sweater, and underpants, and that was it. Full-on Bridget Jones mode. But thanks for the shout-out, and I'm sure you sounded fabulous!

Angie said...

BTW You sounded GREAT!!! I had a much similar experience with the primary 2 years ago. I hope you don't remember it!