Thursday, December 24, 2009

thanks, Eleanor

I've had my requisite pre-Christmas nightmare where I wake up only to discover I've completely dropped the ball and my kids have only a ball of yarn or I can't find where I put their presents (this is a variation on the theme from when I was younger and I awoke to getting a humidifier or something equally outstanding from Santa). This means that Christmas is around the corner and as I consider that, I can't help but wax a little philosophical. Wait, is that what I just did with their letters? Well that's what I do.

A couple weeks ago I came across a quote from one of my favorite people, Eleanor Roosevelt:
With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.

As soon as I read it I knew that this completely summarizes my year. In a year of unknowns, I've known that I could exercise. That was something I could control. I couldn't always control my children's moods or my husband's employment or our family's emergency expenses, all which tax my mental fitness. And as I ran faster and lifted more and stretched farther, I found that my ability to greet those mental calisthenics grew, too.

I've used those quiet early morning hours to clear my head, organize my day, and consider how best to handle situations. I've developed a dear friendship with one who fully understands just about everything I'm feeling, and I her. I have felt accomplished as I've seen myself become literally and figuratively stronger.

Last year, at about this time, my dad pronounced that our family motto would be "More fabulous in 2009." All things considered, I think I did it. As I look forward, I think that I will make the conscious choice each new day to have new strength and new thoughts. Evidence of the latter will show up here. Evidence of the former, well, maybe we can arm wrestle.

Join me. With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts. Now, if only I could think about where I put those presents...

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Maybe someday I'll look at physical activity the way you do... now I just hate it.

Christina said...

Beautifully said! I use those quiet (workout) moments to just be me and not mom, wife, etc. It is the only time nowadays that I am alone. :)

Merry Christmas!