Tuesday, January 19, 2010

not fair

I'm trying to process a lot of feelings right now. Well, actually, I suppose it could be summed up in one word: frustration. Back in August, Joel's sister Melissa underwent a drastic surgery to remove about a third of her tongue in her fifth battle with cancer (of various types). Her recovery has been long, but adequate. Time and again she is the definition of fighter and survivor. It's time for her to do it again.

Last week we got the news that the cancer had spread to her thyroid. She underwent surgery that resulted in removing a nerve to her vocal chords, and revealed more cancer than previously thought. Rather than go into details, I'll just say that whereas before we were hoping to avoid radiation therapy (since the previous cancers have kind of obliterated her body's ability to withstand treatments), now it looks like both radiation and chemotherapy will be required. And, even then, one of the world's leading experts (who operated on her in August) has "never seen this before" in reference to how aggressive her cancer is.

She is 41. She is a mother. She is a wife, a sister, a daughter. She is a teacher to her children and those who are fortunate enough to know her. She is a student, always looking for new things to try and learn. She is faithful, and teaches me more about love and patience and gratitude than any book or church lesson. She is hopeful, and as she and her equally patient and determined husband prepare to face this next challenge, they set the tone that miracles happen. We've seen it before and we hope and pray and beg that we will again. She represents everything in life that is good and lovely and praiseworthy and I, WE, need her to get better.

But there's a huge voice of frustration in the back of my head crying THIS IS NOT FAIR.

Her name is Melissa. I sincerely believe in the power of focused prayer/thoughts/meditation/whatever. Include her, please.


Please.

9 comments:

Sarah Burgoyne said...

Count us in. I too am a strong believer in the power of prayer :)

Tennille said...

I'm so sorry, Sarah. Sometimes it seems like some people just have far too many challenges for one lifetime. I'll definitely keep her in my prayers.

Shira said...

Melissa is in my prayers, absolutely. Ever since you wrote about her surgery and about reading to your children, I think of her many nights when I read to mine, and remind myself not to ever take those seemingly ordinary moments for granted. Many hugs to all of you.

Hillary said...

Praying for all of you...

Lisa said...

How sad. That makes me teary. Prayers are on their way.

Becca said...

Tell Joel I love him and pray for the very best for his family!

Nataluscious said...

I am praying for Melissa too. Her story has always inspired me, and I was impressed beyond words the one time I got to meet her. I'm not sure why cancer has been her journey and trial through life, but I am confident she has served as inspiration to countless people and has changed lives. I remember back in college how there was always the concern for how long she would live, and now look at her with children and so many great adventures over the years. It's mind-boggling what she has accomplished in her 41 years.

Margo said...

Sarah, thanks for sharing about your sis-in-law. How heartbreaking. I will keep her in my prayers. Think how much strength we all can gain from her example of strength. love ya...

loewymartin said...

Thinking of Melissa and all of you as she goes through yet another ordeal.