Thursday, February 25, 2010

best mail ever

I've said it before: I love getting food in the mail. It combines two of my favorite things in the world: receiving mail and eating. Ok, so I don't love getting the bills and the personalized mass mailings, but if I catch a glimpse of a handwritten envelope I feel like I'm 6 again. The mailman brought this to me! Maybe it's because my first experiences with mail were birthday cards, so all subsequent mail makes me feel like it's my birthday? I don't know exactly, but mail is exciting. That is what I know. And something from the UPS man, that's like a birthday party in a box.

So when the doorbell rang yesterday and Joel brought in a box, my first thought was, "Whee!! Someone sent us something! And looky there - in a cheesecake box. So pretty!" And then, upon closer examination, I stuttered, "Someone SENT us a cheesecake?! That's the best thing to arrive since duck fat!" (which I totally understand is a weird sentence)
There on the UPS shipping label it read: For when the pie runs out. -L. What she didn't also know is that in between the pie and now this cheesecake, I had succumbed and made Chocolate Souffle Cupcakes with Mint Cream. The cupcakes were incredible but the mint cream? It was...well let's just say that if wanting to eat this every day of my life is wrong, I don't want to be right.

I don't know if my paper liners were smaller, but I ended up with 14 cupcakes, so in my infinite wisdom, I doubled the cream part. And it was really quite easy - I just HAPPENED to have all the ingredients. Who could have guessed?! But the mint cream. Oh the mint cream. I can see it on a number of desserts. In fact, I think I will only make desserts that can pair nicely with this.

One thing that it probably won't pair nicely with: elk. Up until Monday I hadn't ever even had elk, but a lovely friend had us over for dinner and I must say it was a lovely introduction. I'm not even going to try to spell what it was - something Peruvian - but there was meat and tomatoes and potatoes and maybe some citrus? And rice. Anyway, delicious. What I wasn't prepared for was the after effects. Warning: oversharing ahead. I don't know if it was because my body had never had it before, or it's just the general effect, but... well I'll just say it: the gas was horrible. I mean, rarely is it pleasing. But often it's just there. This was one of those smells that my body had never made before. I'm not sure if it would lessen with increased exposure, but since I don't have a freezer full of elk from my dad, I think it's safe to say I won't have that problem again. Ah, the digestive tract. Good times.

But the mint cream totally made up for any offensive odors that I might have encountered and/or created. They had disappeared not two hours before the bell rang and there was a beautiful cheesecake before me. This, surely is heaven. Swirled. It was outstanding, compounded by the knowledge that it came IN THE MAIL.

Perhaps I'll start a blog where people send me food from all over the world and I get to eat it and I'll become rich and famous. Or maybe people should just send me food. Or maybe I'll just go eat some cheesecake while I think about this. Maybe I'll even stick a birthday candle in it. It's kind of a birthday party, you know.

4 comments:

Alice said...

I have longed to make those chocolate mint souffles.....OH I'm salivating.

janine said...

this post just made me REALLY hungry for sweet unfigure-flattering things. why do there have to be so many delicious things in this world?

Paul and Susan's NY Historic Sites Mission said...

<-----I am envious. I want to be friends with your friends, after all, they send you FOOD IN THE MAIL!!!! What?

Angie said...

Yeah, I made the blog!!! My mom asked how I dare serve people elk. I told you are up for anything:) Even if it gives you a smell:)