Monday, April 19, 2010

a confession

Generally, Sunday is a family day. It's a low-key easy-going church-attending nap-taking day. We don't go shopping, we don't go to birthday parties, we don't attend sporting events. Sometimes, while traveling, we make exceptions. But by and large, Sundays are the day we regroup. Let's go back to the sporting events for a second. Growing up, I rarely participated in Sunday games/meets/recitals. When I did, it was with the understanding that I still went to church. So, yesterday, Donovan's soccer team had a make-up game (a product of the freak snow storm a few weeks ago) at 9am. Church starts at 11, so I knew he'd have enough time to play, shower, and get to church.

I've heard stories of people who, when doing something they shouldn't, were injured or it didn't go well or whatever. But yesterday, Donovan scored their two goals for the win. It was outstanding, even in spite of the kid on the other team who totally smacked him upside the head when he single-handedly (-footedly?) prevented him from scoring. I was ready to punch that kid. And then, on top of that, Donovan happily showered and dressed for church and sat quietly and calmly for the entire Sacrament Meeting (and hour and 15 minutes).

With about 5 minutes left in the meeting, I whispered to Joel, "Can he play soccer before church every Sunday?"


this kid is such a punk sometimes

4 comments:

NancyO said...

Cuuute!

laura said...

Hahaha what a goober.

Allison said...

Awesome. I'm going to run Mabes around Sunday before church and hope that it has the same effect. Yay Dono!

Katie Ross said...

I love the picture! Great idea Allison!