Wednesday, July 21, 2010

killing me softly*

Faced with the prospect of spending 17-18 continuous hours in the car with my family, I have been compiling various things to do to pass the time. The Target Dollar spot is always a great place for "Surprise Time" ideas. And for those of you unfortunate enough not to have my mom planning your childhood, "Surprise Time" is when, at different points in the drive, the mom says, "It's Surprise Time!" and pulls out a new small toy/distraction. It was what we LIVED for. Heck, it's still what I live for.

I have amassed a cache of glow sticks, window crayons, new Littlest Pet Shops, and various art projects that I have half assembled for them to complete. And of course I have a library of movies. I also came to the conclusion that both children would be positively giddy at the idea of having their OWN iPods. Well, not so much as their own as in borrowed. My gracious fabulous (best? I don't think David is reading, so yeah - best) brother Jeff sent a Nano that he hasn't been using. As soon as Donovan got wind that JEFF! was sending is iPod, Donovan totally staked his claim. "I'm going to use Jeff's iPod," he told me, only to remind me about every hour, "Remember that I'm going to listen to Jeff's iPod?" Got it.

As I compiled the playlist for Donovan, I admired the education I was giving him. I've got books such as "Stink" and "Voyage of the Dawn Treader," videos such as "Episode I: Phantom Menace" and "Young Indiana Jones," and then the music. He is a big fan of the Beatles and James Taylor, so of course those are on there. Joining them are Cat Stevens, *the Fugees, Ben Folds, Lady Gaga, Ray Charles, and Coldplay, to name a few. That sounds about right for a 5 year old, right? Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm a little tempted to take an Ambien about 4 hours in...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Beatles, Ray Charles, James Taylor, Cat Stevens ...? It's immensely satisfying to see one's child raising the grandkids so well....


Dad

Sarah Burgoyne said...

I am a firm believer in raising your children on the music that you like. Hannah for instance loves simon and garfunkel, journey and muse. Isabelle is in love with the Beatles, "Hey Jew Mommy! Hey Jew!!"

Jeff and Jess said...

I'm glad you put new music on my iPod. Had Dono heard my extensive n*sync collection, his adulation of me would come to a screeching halt.

Alice said...

Surprise time! AWESOME IDEA! I envision our children quietly sitting there while the whole family listens to books on tape. I have a feeling the fantasy will never unveil itself.