Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Family Reunion Recap Part III: S'Mores


Not long before we went on our trip, I was considering the things in our world that really can't be improved. Take mirrors, for example. I mean, you don't see commercials for mirrors. Or new features with mirrors. The Japanese seem all excited to improve toilets. But not mirrors? I considered this as I was cleaning my mirrors (these are the really deep concepts I mull over as I'm cleaning the house).

(those are the regular marshmallows)

I used to think the same about marshmallows. I mean, you've got your regular and your small. I've made marshmallows before, but I thought that I'd taken marshmallows just about as far as they can go. Until my sister-in-law pulled out a big of GIANT marshmallows. Holy cow Kraft company! Your Jet-Puffed (I looked it up, so as not to miss-cite it) marshmallows just blew me away. They're about twice as big across/tall (does that make it 4x as big?) and I know what you're thinking, if you're mind works at all like mine: But does bigger necessarily mean better? How will the toasting on the outside affect the melting of the inside? Will it just be a bigger mess? Is it just a gimmick?

These were, hands down, the best s'mores I've ever had. Sometimes I just like toasted marshmallows because they are the star of the show and often get muted once you add graham crackers and chocolate. But they have a beautiful voice! They should be HEARD! And giant marshmallows provide the megaphone they're craving. They were gorgeously toasty on the outside, soft and gooey in the center, and because they were bigger, they held heat better, which served to melt the chocolate, rather than just warm it. It was, in short, a masterpiece.

I don't suppose it comes as any surprise that I've thought about the beauty of s'mores perhaps a touch longer than the average person

Conclusion:
Giant marshmallows=brilliant
having others perfectly toast and bring them to you while you sit there=heaven
returning home and not finding any sign of giant marshmallows=tragic


Mourn with me.

4 comments:

Alice said...

I don't really like marshmellows. Never wanted them in my hot chocolate. But I love s'mores and will gladly eat a toasted marshmellow with chocolate and a graham:)

(word verification: Playa haha)

Katie Ross said...

When I stopped by my parents' a couple of weeks ago Sharon pulled out these massively huge marshmallows. So big she sliced off an end & folded it like a sandwich so it wouldn't be sticky when giving them to the boys. I can't wait for the chance to make s'mores with them and not have to use 2 marshmallows.

Lisa said...

It has been way too long since I've had a s'more. I want one NOW.

Annie said...

You are so frickin' hilarious. Have I said that before?? : )
And that smore looks so delish!