Tuesday, August 24, 2010

under where?

There are steps along the way of a newborn growing to baby to toddler to child that make me sad. As much as I don't love getting up in the middle of the night, there's something a little magical about sitting in the dark of 3 o'clock while your baby guzzles milk you have created (this is especially magical when said baby immediately falls back asleep, allowing you the same). Outgrowing certain beloved outfits, taking those first steps, even playing quietly by themselves - all wonderful and a little sad as they begin to establish more independence. But there's one thing I will never ever miss: diapers.

So it is with only joy and happiness that I record Gemma is potty training. We kind of started last week, but the training pants I had mimicked her diapers too much. So off we went to Target and bought the tiniest panties they make, with Dora on them of course.

Last week we had a couple accidents, including one where she dropped a deuce in the hallway - but I have experience with this (ahem, Emaline) and potty training kind of constipates (most) kids as they hold it and hold it until the last second. So the cleanup wasn't too bad and I only dry-heaved once.

This week - Dora panties! Gemma is so proud of them. She'll run over, pull them down, and sit quietly (sometimes bringing a book - awesome). And then she'll clap and shout, "Yeeeeeeeeeeah! I did it!" (cue singing the Dora "I did it!" song and shaking her bum) And then, because I did it the first couple times, after we've deposited the product in the toilet and cleaned up, she'll start clapping as she chants, "Chah-chit CHIPS! Chah-chit CHIPS!" Because one less diaper that I have to wash totally deserves chocolate chips.

We'll see how it goes. So far she even keeps her diaper dry at naptime. Mostly, I'm just enjoying a few less diapers and watching her run around in tiny underwear. And really, nothing is cuter than a 2 year old in unders.

2 comments:

Sarah Burgoyne said...

I am so impressed. Today Isabelle told me she peed in her diaper. Probably a sign she is ready but I sooo dont want to start potty training. But you are right nothing i
s cuter then little buns in little undies :)

Katie Ross said...

A & A are so far from potty training but maybe that's cause they're boys. I'm actually not in a hurry to potty train...too many friends w/boys have told me not to even bother starting til they're at least 3. We'll see....