Tuesday, December 21, 2010

What Gemma Wants for Christmas

Yesterday we went to the mall to see Santa. I had tried to prep Gemma earlier in the day by asking, "What do you want for Christmas?" There are a number of things I'd like her to ask for, but she didn't seem to be getting it. As we sat there, faces close together, this is how it went:

Me: What do you want for Christmas.
G: Uh...nose.
Me: Hmm. No. A Barbie?
G: Yes! A Barbie!
Me: Ok, let's try that again. What do you want for Christmas?
G: Lips.
Me: Eww. No. Gemma! A Tinkerbell movie?
G: Yes! A Tinkerbell fairy movie!
Me: Good. Let's try that again. What do you want for Christmas?
G: Eyelashes.
Me: Ok I know my face is captivating, but that's not what we're doing! What about a robot?
G: Oh yes! A robot! A robot! A ROBOT!
(I should mention here that she is obsessed with robots. She LOVES them. So we were going to surprise her with one, but forget it - give her something to say that she really loves, I thought)
Me: What do you want for Christmas? A robot! What do you want for Christmas? A robot! What do you want for Christmas? A ROBOT!!!!!
G: RRRRRRRRROOOOOOBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOTTTTTTTT!
Me: OK! SO LET'S DO THIS ONE MORE TIME! WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR CHRISTMAS?!
G: EYEBROWS!!!!!!

GAHHHHHH!

The kids thought this was hilarious, of course. I gave up. We started to head to the car and Gemma very clearly said, "I go see Santa! I want a Barbie and a Tinkerbell fairy movie and a robot! Let's go!"

I guess I wasn't surprised. She does what she wants, when she wants it. Upon seeing Santa sitting there, she squealed, "He's REAL!" When the boy ahead of her got off his lap, I whispered in her ear, "Ready, go!" She immediately said, "No! I scared of Santa!" in her fake-scared voice. "No you're not," I said. "Oh, ok! Hi Santa!" And ran right up to him. I don't even know what she told him she wanted but it doesn't matter because we got a good picture and she's going to get a Barbie (Ariel version), a movie and a robot.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Quit making me laugh out loud--people think I'm crazy. :)

NancyO said...

Hilarious! Can't wait to see you guys.