Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Perfectly imperfect

I have a friend from college who, at first glance, you'd probably hate. She has long beautiful blond hair, a flawless smile, an easy-going personality, and a fit body. She sings, plays the cello, was a gymnast and is very intelligent. Like, she's a doctor now, smart. She is a great listener and gives good advice. And to top it off, her name is SUNNY. There is NOBODY on this planet more aptly named, I tell you. So she seems like the perfect package and of course you don't want to be friends with her! Except that she is also one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. And she has the most endearing quality: she's a total klutz. And she has a major sweating problem.

I can't tell you how many times she'd walk into our apartment after a day at class, laughing, and say, "You're not going to BELIEVE what I did!" Then she'd go on to tell how she had been walking up some stairs, tripped, and planted both hands on someone backside, pushing them over as well. Or the time she was trying to walk all smooth past some guy and totally trip on NOTHING. Or how she would be studying with some guy and lift her hand from the page of the book only to see that the sweat from her hand had now rumpled the pages. And on and on.

You could easily chalk these up to exaggerations if you never saw Sunny in action. I will never forget the day she was sitting on the coffee table (is that what they're called? the low tables usually sitting in front of a couch? it never saw coffee, that's for sure) when HE walked in the door. Rarely did Sunny admit to liking someone, but this was an exception. There he stood. And there she sat. And her grin spread across her face and she began to nervously slide herself a little forward and then a little back and then a lot back and there she went - smack over the side, landing on her back. And this would be embarrassing enough except that this is Sunny we're talking about and so of course there is more: let's just say that sometimes such a fall can knock the wind out of you. And in this case, it did, except it didn't escape her lungs, if you know what I mean. And there was no way to pretend it hadn't happened. Sunny had fallen off the table and farted in front of the guy she was trying to impress. I would have cried and then died and then cried some more. Sunny just laughed, turned a brilliant shade of magenta, and shrugged her shoulders. You've got to love someone like that.

This is what came to my mind as I scanned my Williams-Sonoma catalog. Nice transition, right? Let me finish. Williams-Sonoma is one of my favorite stores. I could spend the day in there. And yet, I always feel a little unworthy to be there. Like, I'm not going to spend $500, so what am I doing in there? But they do have wonderful gadgets. And a lot of things that I wish I could have. They're this totally classy, very put-together, have-everything kind of kitchen store. And glamorous. But it seems that Christmas is the time they give me a little gift, as if to say, "We're pretty awesome, but not perfect." Last year, their catalog had this little beaut:

which left me all giddy at their serious breach in editing. Not two nights ago I pulled out the latest catalog, ready to flip through the pages before drifting off to sleep. And as I looked at the cover, my eyes went huge and I positively cackled. Then I jumped out of bed and ran downstairs to Joel where I then did a little shuffle-dance while holding it up for Joel to see. Tra-la-LA:

While not an overt misspelling, still a problem. Let's zoom:

000 New Items! Let's examine this. First, let's say they actually DIDN'T have new items - why call attention to it? Is this a source of pride? Second, not only is it 0 new items, it's 0 to the hundreds place! Oh man, I am still just giggling over this. Third, I'm obviously a nerd. But STILL - this is Williams-Sonoma we're talking about here. I know it's probably just a placeholder for the actual number, but I've got to think that they're giving us nerdlings a little gift, compliments of their vacationing editing staff. If not, then hey marketing bots that seem to find my blog whenever I mention a store - I'll work in exchange Le Creuset!

So both WS and Sunny - super impressive, but not flawless. And that is why I will still shop at WS, and why Sunny will always be my friend.

2 comments:

Melin said...

So I have all but stopped blogging yet I have in my edit post section a post I did on Sunday about Sunny!!! What the HELL?! That's just crazy talk. Mine though was about my kid's obessive retelling of Sunny tripping stories, like they were there.

Anyhow, not intend to steal your thunder or anything, but the other day I too almost posted a letter to Joel. ;-)
m

Lisa said...

I love that you did a shuffle-dance over a misprint. :)