Thursday, June 23, 2011

Salt Lake City

On the way out to the wedding of the year (hint: NOT held in England), we drove through Salt Lake City. Joel and I thought this would be a great time to let the kids see Temple Square and then eat a lot of meat. The two don't really go hand-in-hand except that they are both pretty important in my life (priority based on my mood. I KID!...).

While we only spent a quick couple hours on Temple Square (seriously, self, how do you not remember how much stuff there is to see), it was a nice, peaceful and relaxing way to close out 8 hours of driving (and preface an hour of eating). There's a lot of history there, both the actual physical location and a lot of history relating to our church (which, once you get into scripture, really goes back in time and is part of American - the continent, not the country - history). But anyway, if you don't know what I'm talking about, then let's just look at some pictures. And if you do know what I'm talking about, then let's still look at pictures:

Obligatory family-in-front-of-the-temple shot. You don't have to be LDS to appreciate the beauty of this place. (but it's sure fun to say, "Daaaaaaang. Ancestors got mad skillz!" My ancestors are so embarrassed right now)

Stairs up to one of the front doors.

The doorknob. Honestly, shouldn't it be called something else? "Doorknob" sounds so...Home Depot. This knob did NOT come from your average hardware store.

Inside the Tabernacle. This building has crazy amazing acoustics. We saw the demonstration where someone stood at the pulpit and dropped a pin and you could hear it EVERYWHERE. Also, the place was built without nails. Are you KIDDING me? Nope.

Look - there's Joel! And now you probably won't see him again for another 6 months. (As I was picking photos, Joel commented that I was picking ones where at least one person looked a little...odd. That's what I kind of love about these photos. Because let's face it - we're odd. And we took a trip.)

I swear to you I am NOT imitating the statue. I think I'm saying here, "The acoustics in this room are weeeeeeeeird." They really are. It's a circular room and you feel like you're shouting when you're talking. Also, Gemma pointed at the mural on the wall and shouted, "WOOK! It's duh milky WAAAAAAY!" And it seemed like she had used a bullhorn. Reverence, shmeverence.

Also, not to be sacrilegious (what a terrible way to start a sentence - because you know that's exactly how it will sound), I kind of really hope Jesus really is that tall. That would be awwwwwwesome.

At the Conference Center. This building doesn't really have a roof - it has a GARDEN up there. Like, acres and acres of meadow, wildflowers, old trees and fountains. It's pretty amazing. I don't think that's going to be in our remodeling budget anytime soon. I picked this picture solely because Gemma, who was having the time of her life jumping down each and every step, is mid-air.

Checking out one of the fountains on the roof with the Temple in the background.

Gemma. Because I can.

And another. These are the pictures I need when she is wailing her head off at...anything.

A lot of people (I think) wonder what in the heck the insides of our Temples look like, especially not just anyone can go inside. Hint: Before ANY temple is dedicated, you can go through. Once it is blessed for member use, it is limited. On Temple Square, they have a replica of the Salt Lake Temple with half of it cutaway so you can see what it really looks like inside. The wallpaper, furniture, etc. is all just like it! It's like the greatest dollhouse ever. Anyway, it was fun to point out to the kids the rooms where we go for a service, or a sealing (wedding), or my favorite: The Celestial Room (the white room with sofas directly to the left of Dono's raised hand) - where you can just sit in silence and ponder/pray/meditate. Every temple has one. They're heavenly. Seriously.

As I finished pointing out some of the rooms ("That's just a hall, Dono. But there's a room like the one Daddy and I were sealed in. See the altar where you kneel? See the mirrors on either side that make it look like it goes on forever?") I heard a guy mutter in back of us, "I just don't get it." I turned to look at him and he was shaking his head and shrugging his shoulder. "It's just...weird." Um, ok. It's a BUILDING. I wonder if he goes into a Cathedral and walks into some of the side chapels and says, "This is WEIRD!" Maybe.

I wasn't sure if Gemma was exclaiming something or yawning, until I saw the next picture.

I guess it was yawning.

I don't have any pictures of the meat extravaganza. But you can be sure it was delicious. Next up - wedding photos and recap. FINALLY. Sheesh, what am I doing with my days?

1 comments:

wanda said...

I want you to be sure and do a side by side comparison with Gemma's senior picture and the second headshot of her in this post when the time comes. I can almost see the young woman emerging....