Tuesday, September 6, 2011

bringing her up right

"You're so BIG," I whined, as I buckled Gemma into her carseat after her first day of preschool.
"I AM big," she nodded in agreement.
"What happened to my small Gemma?"
"I'm right here," she responded, sounding a little perplexed.
"No, I mean my tiny Gemma that I used to rock back and forth and just cuddle!" I moaned.
Jamming her thumb into her chest as if to punctuate each word, she impatiently replied, "I'M.RIGHT.HERE."

Touche. I suppose I do still rock and cuddle her. But she's like a big stinkin' kid (emphasis on the stinkin, depending on the day's activities) who whispers, "I'm nervous," while I brush her hair before her big day and then later declares, while walking out to the car and extending a hitchhiker's thumb over her shoulder, "THAT was a great day."

I've discussed before my love and hate for particular words (by the way, if you're tempted to use a word in which you may not be entirely confident in the definition, read, or re-read, that entry. you're welcome). This is not something I've actually shared with my children, so imagine my joy a week ago when I was trying to hurry Gemma through getting dressed for the day:

While walking from her bedroom to mine, I quickly said over my shoulder, "Don't forget to change your panties." She trotted down the hall after me and said, "Uh...Mom?" I turned toward her, to see a funny look upon her face. "Did you say pannies? They're not pannies. They're called PAN-TEEZ."

I NEVER EVEN TOLD HER!!! Needless to say, I quickly apologized for the misunderstanding and tried to explain I would NEVER drop the T-sound. But in the back of my head, a choir of angels sang and tears were held back. I'm so proud. Since then, I've actually, WILLINGLY, dropped the T every now and then to see if she'd notice. She does. EVERY.TIME. She'll laugh and shake her head and say, "Not pannies, Mom. PAN-TEEZ." And I'll laugh and say I was testing her hearing and as I type this, I realize this is a very odd hearing test but I don't care because she's my kid and one of the best things about parenting is doing weird things to your kids. HEE!

So, I guess I'm ok with her getting big, because obviously I'm bringing her up RIGHT.

1 comments:

Allison said...

But the question remains, is "moist" in her vocabulary? If not, then pat yourself on the back.