Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Keys to a successful Thanksgiving

1. Brine your turkey. Then, as it's resting and you've separated the drippings from the fat to flavor the gravy you made the night before, pour the remaining fat over the bird.


2. Operate on a pie-to-person ration of about 7:12. No pictures, due to mass consumption.

3. Sprinkle in some family activities.



4. Accept your brother-in-law's offer to make ebelskivers (spelling so very incorrect but I don't care).



5. Make friend's suggested accompanying syrup of 1 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup cream; then email said friend with: I HAVE DIED AND GONE TO HEAVEN.

Also helpful: have a mother/sister-in-law team in place to wash all the dishes you dirty, make the food you don't want to (or can't), and have general good conversation with.

We had a houseful of people and I'm only now starting to feel like we're operating on standard time. It doesn't help that only now, for the first time in 2 weeks, I can get through the day without medicating with advil due to a less-than-perfect dental experience. Stories to come.

In the meantime, I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving. Today while I volunteered at the school, I asked every kid what was the best thing they ate for Thanksgiving. One kid shrugged and said, "The turkey, I guess," another said, "Ham," and one said, "The pie. My mom let me eat as much as I wanted." (oh wait - that was my kid who said that...) I'm considering doing another turkey dinner with a hen this time, instead of a tom. I hear they're more tender and have more breast meet (though since they're smaller, I had to go with the tom for the big day - 23 pounds, baby!). I mean, OBVIOUSLY both of those things would apply to the ladybirds, right?

So, if you're still reading, what was the best thing you ate for Thanksgiving? Feel free to attach recipes, if applicable.

1 comments:

Angie said...

So I'm so very curious about the ebelskivers? When you make them, can I invite myself over? Oh, and my favorite thing is cranberry salad my mom makes:) It sounds weird and really doesn't look that appealing...but is oh so addictive. I will send you the recipe via email.