Monday, March 19, 2012

chazy

It has been a CHAZY last couple weeks. Every now and then I like to resurrect words that my kids said as toddlers. When Donovan was 2-3, he couldn't say a hard c sound, but used "ch." (he also wouldn't say a hard g, but that's another barrel of fun) So chocolate was pronounced "cha-chit" and crazy was "chay-zee." Sometimes you have to say things are chazy because that sounds a little worse than crazy.

I might have mentioned a couple weeks ago that I had the flu. Did I mention that? Anyway, I did. The thing is, as I am getting sick, I have this theory that if I just keep acting like everything is normal, then the bug will get psyched out and leave. This kind of used to work when I was younger. It works about ZERO percent of the time now. So anyway, I was sick and kind of phoned it in for a couple days and then went back to 5:30 am pilates classes and staying up late. Then Joel got the flu. I love the man, but honestly, men are babies. And maybe it's because they aren't the sole providers when the children get sick so they aren't familiar with battle tactics. I don't know. What I do know is that at one point, at about 10 pm when he had stomped back downstairs and sat in a rocking chair all huffy because he was HOT and irritated, I said, exasperatedly, "Look, if your body hurts, take Advil. If your head hurts, take Tylenol. If you can't sleep, take melatonin. If you can't breathe, take Benadryl. But don't take those last two together because you might go comatose! If you're hot, TAKE OFF YOUR FLANNEL PAJAMAS." I mean, REALLY. You have to be TOLD this? Amazingly, surprisingly, miraculously, he felt better when he started taking Advil and such. AMAZING.

One of the fun discussions we had while he was sick was about how I couldn't possibly have been as sick as him because he didn't have the energy to get out of bed for a couple days. "And come around 4, I was useless," he said. "I had to go back to bed." I kind of laughed at this. Um, yeah, I'd love to stay in bed but I've got these kids and things to do, so it isn't always/ever an option. He really pressed that the next time I was really horribly sick, to tell him so he could take over. Ok, yeah right, I'm thinking. I mean, honestly, short of bleeding or unconsciousness, what mom can really do that? But it was a nice gesture.

Little did I know that the very next week I would get sick AGAIN. Like, I was totally fine just sitting there and suddenly there were not enough tissues in the house to staunch the flow of snot from my nose. Pretty! I wondered if my previous attempts to not-rest and not-recuperate had lowered my immunity or something. To make matters worse, this was the night before Donovan's birthday and here I was, up late, cutting streamers for his bedroom. This was both our most impressive birthday morning display, as well as our LOUDEST. Think crepe paper is pretty quiet? Try dragging in 60 of them at the same time. And use a super squeaky stool. But he loved it and they still hang in his bedroom (for the moment).

The next morning I woke up with a fever and about zero energy but it was Donovan's birthday, so that's when you pull your mom jeans up and DO.THE.DAY. Took him Chick-Fil-A for lunch and ate with him in the cafeteria, came home and fell asleep after registering a 102.3 fever, woke up, baked a cake, took him to the rec center to get his membership card (you get one when you're 7 and he has been looking forward to this for about 3 years - since Ainsleigh got hers), went to The Corner Bakery for dinner, came home, fell asleep. Even sleeping, I felt awful.

This is the face of a boy who is EXCITED to read chapter books.
And then, I woke up at 8:15 am Wednesday. I could tell by that hot eyeball feeling that my fever was still there. And my sinuses were beyond congested (they might have gone on vacation, actually). Oh good, I thought, Joel has given the kids breakfast. I staggered out of my bedroom and down to the kitchen. The previous night's cleanliness still clung to the table. Oh no. With dread, I opened the door to the garage and beheld an empty spot where Joel's car is usually parked. And then I remembered that he had a meeting downtown and would be gone for hours. I kind of whimpered and started to cry. Then I wiped my eyes, called up to the kids, and began pulling out breakfast and lunch foods. It was 8:15 and the kids needed to leave in a half an hour. I somehow fed them, made lunches, and got them out the door. Then I texted Joel this: THIS is what I was talking about when you wanted to know why I couldn't just rest when I'm sick.

This is the face of a boy who isn't sure how excited he is to do math fact sheets
to earn the wheels/trucks for his new skateboard.
Then I put Gemma in front of the tv and said, "Do NOT wake me up," and went back to bed. For THREE HOURS. And then I went to sleep at 8:30 that night. I knew my Aunt Nancy was coming on Thursday, so I determined that as long as my fever didn't go above 102.5, I would just let it burn and lay around and see if that would help. I think it did! Thursday was better and Friday even better. We had a great weekend with Aunt Nancy and today I think I'm back to 100% - whee!

So that's where I've been. Now it's time to go through a bunch of pictures and see if we have any documentation for the mid-60s weather we've been enjoying for the past week.

Trick candles are ALWAYS a crowd-pleaser.

Also, our puppy arrives this Saturday. No big deal. HA!

2 comments:

laura said...

Glad you're feeling better, and I LOVE the new header. So cute.

Annie said...

Ugh! So sorry you were that sick.