Thursday, April 19, 2012

Hello again.

Easter happened.

And Gemma refuses to both look AT the camera and keep her eyes OPEN. "Look at me, Gemma. Loooook. LOOK! At me! WITH YOUR EYES!!!!" Seriously, it's a losing trial of patience. So that's why we take these pictures, so years from now we can point to them and say, "You were cute, but you'd never know with the faces you pulled and your shifty eyes." My only consolation is knowing that Ainsleigh used to do the same thing and looky there - she's the picture of delight. Even Donovan looks downright respectable.

Fine, Gemma. Do NOT look at the camera.

Wait, what? Of course you look, now that you're not in focus.

Aaaaand, that's a wrap.

Easter happened, but I barely got to partake of the candy because of an unfortunately attack of canker sores. (I have a hard life.) I'm sort of allergic to walnuts and pecans, see. Not close-up-my-throat-and-die so much. More plethora-of-canker-sores-swelling-my-mouth-and-preventing-all-deliciousness-to-be-enjoyed. This was by far the worst outbreak in a long time, perhaps because I had run out of Lysine. On day three I was cutting up a pineapple and it smelled SO GOOD so I put the tiniest piece in my mouth and within seconds thought my head had turned inside out. Seeing tears streaming down my cheeks, Gemma asked if cutting pineapple was like cutting onions. Sort of.

Now I'm trying my hardest to make up for any weightloss I enjoyed. Why does Easter candy have to be so amazing. Reese's peanut butter eggs are infinitely better than regular peanut butter cups. I DON'T KNOW WHY. Egg-shape is just so much more pleasing. And not just because it seems that's the way my body is heading.

Anyway, Easter. I didn't make lamb or roast beef or ham, as tradition would seem to dictate. Remember the canker sores? I figured if I was only going to get a few bites, I was going to make what I wanted to savor. So, obviously: steak. And then, throwing caution to the wind, I made a new dish. BRUSSELS SPROUTS. Surely I was setting myself for sabotage, right? Here's the thing: I've always known my dad loved them, but because my mom does NOT, we never ate them growing up; my sister has professed to be a lover of these mini-cabbages for quite some time, inspiring me to buy some and try to cook them. I failed. So I resigned myself to hating them.

Then, as I researched Israeli couscous, I came across a recipe. I saw the picture, read the instructions, and then sat back in chair. Taking a deep breath, I came to a conclusion: If I made this dish and did not like it, then I NEVER WOULD. And I could close the chapter on these edible buds forEVER. Initially, I thought I should double the recipe for my family. But I held back because what if it wasn't good? What if I had a gallon of this stuff? Spoiler alert: I made it again a week later and doubled the recipe. MAKE THIS:

Brussels Sprouts with Dried Cherries and Bacon

And when I made it the second time, the kids came galloping into the kitchen yelling, "Are we having more Brussels sprouts?! YESSSS!" Confession: when I doubled the recipe, I used 6 slices of bacon, not 4. I AM WHO I AM.

Earlier this year it was Shepherd's Pie. And now this? I'm a new woman! (now if I could just remember to take my Lysine...)

Nope. Still not looking.

4 comments:

wanda said...

Ainsleigh looks so GROWN UP and of course, adorable. Actually they all look adorable!

Christina said...

You have the most beautiful children. ever. Absolutely stunning!

Alex McMurray said...

Is that the same dress that Ainsleigh had? So cute! I love that the dresses I saved from Claire I get to use with Grace. Your kids are getting so big! Darling pics, including the silly ones!

Paul and Susan's NY Historic Sites Mission said...

Great pictures. Ainsleigh is seriously looking more and more like her mommy! :) Sorry about the sore mouth, but good job on Brussel Sprout introduction 2.0