Tuesday, June 12, 2012

keeping the spark alive

A couple days ago, Joel was cleaning up the kitchen in preparation for a couple friends to come over. I had been upstairs, putting things away, and when I returned, he picked up a stack of papers and with a mix of impatience and irritation, said, "Do we need these, or can I throw them away?" as he, with his other hand, continued to pick up little bits of debris and throw them away.

I stood there, awestruck, realization dawning that he was mimicking what I have asked him countless times. I took in the organized desk, the clean counters, the sparkling stove. Frozen, I whispered, "I am so attracted to you right now I can hardly stand it."

"And we need a new garbage can. This is the one we've had since we got married, and it's sad," he replied, a small smile playing at the corners of his mouth.

"I love it when you talk dirty to me," I replied.

"And we should talk about reorganizing the garage. We need to get better hooks for the bikes and make the tools more accessible," he continued, now clearly enjoying himself. And then he said the words that set any woman on fire: "You should go to the Container Store."

I tried to remain calm, my voice shaking slightly, giving me away, "I don't know who you are, or what you've done with my husband, but kiss me. Kiss me like you've never kissed anyone before."

Today we celebrate 13 years of marriage and I am giddy at the thought that those years have brought understanding, acceptance, respect, and a whole lot of laughs. I love this man, and I love that he still knows how to make my heart flutter.

1 comments:

Sarah Burgoyne said...

I would get turned on by the words,"You should go to the Container Store." too :) Happy Anniversary!