Monday, June 18, 2012

an open letter to my mother-in-law

Dear Gayle,

As we approached Father's Day and I thought about Joel and what kind of dad he is, I've felt an overwhelming urge to write you a thank-you note. Is it a little self-serving that I want to credit a mother with raising her son? Perhaps. Maybe I'm hoping that someday, a few decades from now, a woman will write to me, thanking me for raising my son in a manner that makes him the best dad she can imagine. No, not maybe - I'm definitely hoping for that.

I hope I raise Donovan with that same confidence and determination. I am grateful every single day that Joel has the work ethic he does. He pushes himself harder than anyone I know. He has made a wonderful and comfortable life for us, and I feel fortunate to know he will always take care of us.

I hope I raise Donovan to love his future wife in a way that makes her forget her insecurities. I hope she feels lucky to be married to him every day, with the way he treats her.

I hope I raise Donovan to love and respect me in the same way Joel loves and respects you. I hope that if I ever have hard times, Donovan will rally around me and love me that same way.

I hope I raise Donovan to be a fully-engaged father, who loves spending time with his kids and lets them know it.

I hope I raise Donovan to have faith, patience, and a heart willing to serve.

I hope I raise Donovan to have an appreciation for art, other cultures, and a wide variety of food.

I know you're not the only person who can take credit for who Joel is today, but speaking as one mother to another, I have a pretty good sense that mothers play a huge role in the parents their children turn into. You are a quiet, loving, peaceful, wonderful, strong woman who has raised some pretty phenomenal kids. And for that, on this Father's Day, I celebrate you for helping shape Joel into the man, husband and father he is.

Thank you.

Love,
Sarah

2 comments:

Katherine said...

beautiful. happy father's day. happy belated mother's day, as well!

Paul and Susan's NY Historic Sites Mission said...

I love that you did this. This means everything to a mom-in-law. Austin's wife sent me a little note too, but nothing like this. Speaking for Mother's-in Law....It is good to hear that we have done something that "stuck' :)