Monday, November 12, 2012

Fish tacos, revisited

An ingrown toenail. The flu. Accidentally stabbing my own hand. Not cancer, though. Nope. I'll take the current situation.

Those are the some of the things I ticked off my mental list of what I'd rather have than what I actually was enduring: my first full-fledged bout with food poisoning.

When I woke up Wednesday morning, the minimal abdominal discomfort registered, but it being 5:30 am and knowing I had some serious cardio ahead of me, I shrugged it off and pulled on my workout clothes. When I got home, I still felt a figured I had overdone it the night before thanks to Rubio's offering their blackened tilapia tacos for $1.50/each. They're a bit spicy, but quite delicious. Plus, later on that morning I was supposed to meet friends at Snooze, the greatest breakfast place on the planet.

By the time I left Snooze, I really didn't feel great. Instead of going to Costco, I headed home. I curled up on my bed for about 30 minutes before I had to go pick up Gemma from preschool. On the way home from that, for the first time in my life I wondered if I would make it home in time to take care of whatever my insides had brewing. I made it. But I immediately headed upstairs (halfway up which I wondered if I'd actually make it TO the bathroom - I did) where I proceeded to, shall we say, review that morning's breakfast.

I cursed my choice of green chile and chorizo. Nothing tastes good coming back up, but green chile and chorizo...I moaned, "Why didn't I have the french toast?!"

I am not even exaggerating when I say I spent most of the time between noon and 9pm on the cold tile floor of my bathroom. Occasionally I'd get myself to my bed, only to crawl back into the bathroom. It was so nice and cold there!

Around 3, I texted Joel, "I feel awful. I can't move." Within seconds he was staring down at me (the perks of a home office), saying he thought I had been napping. If ONLY.

The next hours were cycles of toilet-tile floor-fever-sweats-repeat. The sweats was my favorite part. I was running a fever around 101.5 and then my body would be soaking wet and that actually felt delightful for a few minutes.

I stopped vomiting after 7 pm (which, really, was just dry heaving anyway) and then finally began drinking ice water and gatorade around 8:30.

I rebounded pretty quickly after that, and I have been praising good health ever since. I probably WILL eat fish tacos again at some point in my life, but maybe I'll wait for the next time I have an ingrown toenail.


Sarah Burgoyne said...

I'm hoping this experience hasn't turned you off to Snooze. :(