Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanks

My cranberry sauce is made. The turkey is in the brine. I've got the gravy started already. I'm toasting almonds for the requested S'mores pie. The other pie shells are cooling. My dvr is set to record the dog show and the Macy's day parade. The older two kids, Albus (the pup) and I ran a pre-Thanksgiving 5k this morning. Joel's design was picked for a recent meeting which will give him more work right now and (most likely) lead to more work next year. The kids are healthy, Ainsleigh's medication is working wonders, and the dog is settling down. We recently had official family photos taken and I've already *GASP* ordered Christmas cards.

Of course there are struggles and things to worry about, but I find less inclined to worry lately. I'm trying to live in the now and plan for the future. But I'm trying hard to not let those things I can't control control me. And you know what, I feel a lot better.

I am grateful for the kids who teach me how to be a patient mother and give me reasons daily to celebrate them and the world around me. I am thankful for a husband who works from home and does a phenomenal job supporting us, who lets me know on a regular basis that he thinks I'm pretty great, and is the most comfortable hug in the world. I am grateful for parents who taught me hard work and a sense of humor are essential to life. I am blessed with friends who exhibit the kind of love described in the scriptures. I mourn those family members who have passed away and left a void, but I honor them for the lessons and love they brought into my life.

It's a good time of year. I don't know about you, but I've managed to mysteriously lose a few extra pounds which I will probably find sometime tomorrow night after turkey and pie. Happy Thanksgiving.


3 comments:

Becca said...

WWOOOOOOO Go team Hills!! I'm so glad you are all doing so great, you deserve it!

Kirsten said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Margo said...

Beautiful thoughts.