Tuesday, January 1, 2013

you're cordially invited...

Well, there it went. 2012, over and out. Don't you hate it when you're getting ready to host something at your house and the doorbell rings and you think, "Ugh, they're EARLY?! I'm not ready!" And then you look at the clock and actually they are quite on time? That's kind of how I feel right now. How DARE the new year come so early...oh, ok fine.

And then when I think back on 2012 and what we did and accomplished and learned, I think that it wasn't too shabby. We took a few trips, we (they) spent a lot of time skiing, we (I) trained for a triathlon, the kids learned and grew, and we adopted the greatest dog ever (we feel sorry for everyone else in the world). I have to stop myself from getting all depressed and morbid because if I don't think I start thinking about how time is going faster and maybe I'm middle aged and what have I neglected to do or teach my kids and what happens if I die and they don't remember me and would anybody come to my funeral? Like I said...morbid.

I've thought a lot about my (hopefully distant) funeral lately, and this is what I've come up with: it's got to be huge. I'm not trying to make light of a serious subject. Funerals are a sad business. People don't go to funerals because they're fun. People go because their life has been touched by the deceased, or by the deceased's family. In considering that, I decided that my goal is to be a force for good or joy or comfort or whatever (positive, preferably) for as many people as I possibly can. So that when I die, people will want to come to my funeral. Does that make sense? Live my life so that when I die, people will think, "She was fun. I'd like to say goodbye." So that is my weirdly positive spin on an otherwise morbid outlook. Am I a real downer?

2013, I greet you with the door wide open. I apologize for thinking you were early. We've got some work to do this year. There will be some tears, but most likely a ton of learning, sweating, adventures, and laughs. And good hair days.

(also, if you're reading this, you're totally invited to my funeral. get there early. there will probably be a popcorn stand.)

0 comments: