Sunday, February 10, 2013

when waking me up is ok

Sunday mornings are the only morning I really have to "sleep in." It is a wonderful feeling to sleep until you wake up, and then roll over and sleep some more. This morning I had woken up and was doing my best imitation of a giant starfish (Joel had vacated the bed and was making me pancakes. good husband.) in the middle of our bed, contemplating the things I needed to do, when Donovan barged in.

My door was closed! We have a rule about not opening my door if it's closed! I mean, I was awake, but not out of bed, which kind of means I wasn't really awake yet! Under what circumstances is this ok?! All these thoughts and more raced through my mind as the part of my brain that controls my annoyed voice prepared to let it all out.

"Mom," Donovan said, without pausing or being the least bit distracted by the fact my eyes were closed, "I can't remember the third unforgivable curse..."

The annoyed voice did an immediate 180 and the Harry Potter (aka best) part of my brain thought, "Imperio. I bet it's the Imperius curse." But he was already continuing.

"...I know Avada Kadavra, the killing curse (his silent "duh" underscoring that one), and I remember Crucio, but I can't remember the third one."

Eyes still closed, I replied, "Imperius."

"So do I say, 'Imperius'?"

"No, Imperius is the curse. You say, 'Imperio,'" I replied, trying to control my voice so the giggles wouldn't give me away.

"Ok. Good. Thanks, Mom," and out he walked, closing the door behind him.

That's when I opened my eyes and smiled. It has been months since we've read a Harry Potter book (we're taking a break after book 5). I'm not sure what prompted his inquiry. But I laid there and thought, "YES. That is the only circumstance under which intruding upon my sacred morning sleeping-in would be permissible."

And with that, I started my Sunday.

1 comments:

Becca said...

I TOTALLY understand. I had to text Laura at about 2am her time to ask her what the third curse was, and she quickly responded. I had just gotten a wand, so it was kind of urgent.