Thursday, March 28, 2013

Baptism Day

The Saturday after Donovan turned eight was the day he was baptized. He was beside himself with excitement. I'm not sure why, exactly, because not a lot changes, but I think he knew this was a big milestone and signified he was a "big kid." He kept repeating what our Bishop had advised him: to remember who was there, and how he felt.

I have never seen someone take this so much to heart. My dad stood as one of the witnesses and Donovan's Primary teacher (Sunday school) from last year was the other one. This man was so great and it was heart-warming to watch Donovan walk up to him on a Sunday and say, "I'm getting baptized on March 16 and I was wondering if you could be a witness." The man and his wife were touched (unless their eyes are naturally watery - no judging!). Embarrassingly, they were at the church before WE were, on the big day.

The event itself was touching. I thought Donovan looked nervous as he and Joel entered the font. He seemed to be breathing a little shallow. Come to find out - the water was cold. And there he was, up to his waist in it! Donovan put his hands on Joel's and then I could see Dono squeeze his eyes shut like, "Oh yeah, be reverent," but then kind of open them because there were a lot of people/kids gathered around, and then kind of squeeze them shut again. Right as Joel finished the prayer, Donovan opened his eyes and then glanced up at me. With a slightly pursed-lip grin and giggle, he went down under the water and back up as Joel performed the baptism.

As we waited for them to dress, we showed a series of videos that I personally love. I think the message is good, regardless of what your faith is. I love them all, but the last one is my favorite.

Dayton's Legs
Moments that Matter Most
Earthly Father, Heavenly Father

Then there was the confirmation and we were done! Afterward, Donovan's Primary teacher said to me, "I used to work with your mom!" Which is weird, because my mom hasn't worked since I was born. As it turns out, he worked with her at BYU up until she had me. CRAZY. They talked and laughed and hugged and I love how small the (LDS) world is sometimes.

As we walked out to the car, Donovan was skipping and giggling, "I can't believe this day finally came! It felt like forever!" After we got home, he began running around the house and almost literally bouncing off the walls (definitely literally the sofa).

"Donovan! What is going on with you?" I asked.
"I don't know!" he giggled, still in motion, "I just know that I feel so GOOD and HAPPY to be baptized that I can't hold stillllllll!"

Joel later recorded Donovan talking about who all was at his baptism, and I think we will always remember how he felt. It was one of those proud moments where he seems so grown up, and yet still my little boy.
(Doesn't my mom look amazing? And here we are with Joel's mom.
My hair looks weird, but I think Gemma's personality is captured perfectly here, so I'm using it.)

Also, we had the best pie for dessert. And it doesn't sound prideful because I didn't make them! Hip hip hooray for paying a professional to provide your pies!

0 comments: