Thursday, April 18, 2013

This is what it looks like when I go through my phone pictures.

This is what it looks like when good friends give you their son's stash of lacrosse gear and then you snap a picture of your son and suddenly you feel like you have a good idea of what he'll look like in another 10 years:
Donovan came home from the retrieval process (including helmets, pads, gloves, sticks, and goal) and promptly asked me if he could please pick up the dog poop in the back yard so he could practice lacrosse. "What did you say?" I asked. "I said, 'Can I pick up the dog poop...'"

"Let me stop you right there, Dono. You never have to ask me questions like that, along with, say, 'Can I clean my room?' because the answer is always, ALWAYS, going to be yes."

"Well," he added slowly, "Maybe I didn't mean the whole yard...just the part I'm going to practice in." Again, I will never stop you from cleaning up the dog's "little bombs" (in the words of Gru).



This is what it looks like when I take the kids to the pool during spring break and they actually get along and love each other and play nicely and I look like the world's greatest mom because they're angels:
Until we get in the car and Donovan is dumb and Ainsleigh overreacts and Gemma cries because she didn't take a nap and I calm myself with thoughts of nutella banana milkshakes (more on that later).



This is what it looks like when, for the first time in her life, my mom wins at Blokus:
Sure, it was my dad's first time actually playing (but don't be coy, Dad, you totally observed many a battle in Tahoe), but my mom so rarely wins at strategy games (no disrespect, just a fact that it's usually my dad, Laura, or the dark horse Becca) that this was particularly noteworthy. Add to it, our signature family move (as displayed by my mom, accompanied with a deep "BLOKUS!" declaration) when you either block someone or win. Most people won't appreciate this, but my sisters will probably enlarge and frame it.



This is what it looks like when your mom is visiting so you take her on a 34-mile bike ride and she gets a flat at mile 28:
I kind of thought it might be fun to have this teamwork moment together, but really it just consisted of me taking a sip of water and snapping this picture. She had that wheel off and the tube out while I was still rummaging in my bike pouch and asking, "Don't you need a tool to do that?" And she was all, "Don't worry, I'll use my FINGERS." There's something totally awesome about standing there giggling at how freakishly cool your mom is. (thanks to Lisa for letting us borrow her bike and then shredding her tire)



This is what it looks like when your mom and you finish your ride and you're giggling and the dude in a fluorescent green top and bright purple pants about to start his ride:
Nothing else really to say on that, except that I can't actually describe how much I love sharing this hobby with my mom. Sewing is cool, too, don't get me wrong. But this is just a whole lot of fun.



This is what it looks like the day after a huge storm when the sun is out and the part you shoveled off your deck so your dog could get to the grass has totally melted/dried off:
Albus loves to bask in the sun, and this day was no different. He raised his head, looked at me standing there with my phone, then let it drop back onto the deck. He laid there for an hour.



This is what it looks like when you fulfill your daughter's dreams of making robot valentines:
Did I already post it? It's been a while since I mentioned her robot obsession. We're in the midst of planning her robot-cupcake-sprinkle party. Which may or may not involve the pool. But definitely robots.



This is what preschool color day looks like:

I'm not really sure what she's doing in the second picture, but the point is she's wearing a lot of colors. One might even argue she's wearing ALL of the colors. But then that person's husband would probably pull out his pantone flipbook and say, "Well, not really," and then that person would narrow their eyes and call that husband a party pooper.



This is what it looks like when your second grader wants to practice his spelling on the computer:
Or, rather, "speling." When I smirked and pointed at the title, he indignantly replied, "Well! That's not one of my words! It doesn't COUNT!"



This is what it looks like when your 4-year-old emerges from her nap and comes into the kitchen, backlit by the sun:
Bedhead is one of the best things about kids. And Gemma's, with her hair color, is like a halo that just lights up if any direct light comes in contact with it. I hesitate to say she looked like an angel because, let's face it, she's 4 and not inclined to exhibit a lot of angelic qualities. But in a still photo, it's almost believable.



And this is what it looks like when you have a "quiet-time-nap:"

I love that her hand is on the pot and the toys are lined up. I wonder what she was thinking seconds before her eyes closed. I've fallen asleep reading many times (all the times?), so perhaps it isn't very different.

This is what it looks like when I go back through my most recent pictures on my phone. It's a good reminder of little moments I've had through my day that make me grateful for children and modern technology.

1 comments:

NancyO said...

Love the pictures and the following post too.