Saturday, January 4, 2014

Dear Joel,

This past year you joined me for bike rides. And boy did we ride! We've ridden over 2000 miles in 2013, and I expect/hope that number will be even bigger this year. We have taken advantage of having children old enough to look after themselves and hit the open road. I love cycling, but I love it even more with you.




I know in the beginning I would grumble when you would suggest pushing harder and faster. I still grumble when you try to pull faster than I can ride. Still, though, at the end of the ride (and even during it), I'm glad you're with me. When I go by myself, it isn't nearly as fun. Even when we're not talking, just having you there is comfortable and happy. And that's kind of a general observation for our whole life together. Even if we aren't doing anything, or talking, having you is comfortable and happy.

I am incredibly proud of how you take care of our family. You work hard to make your business successful, and I love that. Not all (many? most?) husbands would have the drive to work hard at home every day. But you do. More than that, though, I love how you love our kids. It always makes me giggle if I go looking for you and can't find you, only to discover you outside, throwing a football with Donovan. I love that you will play games with Gemma daily. I know that I am lucky every night that you lie next to one of our children, playing them a song from iTunes, looking at constellations on your phone.

Above all else, you make me feel desirable each and every day. Even those days that I am not desirable. You make me want to be a better wife and mother to our children and cycling partner, because that is what you deserve.

I am excited for what 2014 holds for us. We're about to celebrate 15 years of marriage. We're about to take our kids to DisneyWorld. We get to go to Hawaii in July. And, for the love of chocolate milk, we get to ride our bikes.

All my love,
Sarah

0 comments: